Effects of environmental factors on medical files kept in the hospitals affiliated to Hormozgan University of Medical Sciences, 2004

AUTHORS

Nasrin Davaridolatabadi 1 , * , Mina Tavasoli Farahi 2 , Mehraban Shahi 1

1 Instructor Department of Medical Records, Hormozgan University of Medical Sciences, Bandar Abbas, Iran.

2 Instructor Department of Para Medicine, Hormozgan University of Medical Sciences, Bandar Abbas, Iran.

How to Cite: Davaridolatabadi N, Tavasoli Farahi M, Shahi M. Effects of environmental factors on medical files kept in the hospitals affiliated to Hormozgan University of Medical Sciences, 2004, Hormozgan Med J. 2006 ; 10(3):e90138.

ARTICLE INFORMATION

Hormozgan Medical Journal: 10 (3); e90138
Published Online: November 12, 2006
Article Type: Research Article
Received: February 06, 2006
Accepted: November 12, 2006

Crossmark

CHEKING

READ FULL TEXT
Abstract

Introduction: The preservation of medical files is the responsibility of hospital
manager. Environmental conditions such as chemical, biological, and physical
factors can cause the destruction of medical files. The importance of the
maintenance of medical records made the researchers to conduct a study on the
files kept in Hormozgan province hospitals regarding climate conditions, shelf
places, file folders, etc.
Methods: This descriptive study was conducted on the filing rooms of hospitals
affiliated to Hormozgan university of Medical Sciences. Data was collected using
a check list. Data were analyzed manually and presented as frequency and partial
frequency.
Results: According to the findings in 26.7% of records there has been color
alteration, and 5.6% of them have been brittle due to temperature. The humidity
of the filing rooms has affected only 7.8% of records and the remaining 92.2%
were intact. Neither air conditioner nor filter has been observed in filing rooms.
Since most medical records were written with ballpoint pens 83.8% of them were
legible. Regarding biological factors (insects and rodents) only 7.8% of records
are damaged by insects. Black, red, violet, and yellow stains have been observed
on forms and folders in 8.9% of records.
Conclusion: Considering the climate condition of the region and lack of proper
filing places, i.e. rooms with levels of humidity and temperature, and presence of
dust can cause deterioration of files and create a suitable condition for the growth
of bacteria and fungi. In order to control the above mentioned destructive agents,
proper filing places equipped with thermometers, hygrometers, and air
conditioners the recommended.

Keywords

Medical Records – Environment – Humidity

© 2006, Hormozgan Medical Journal. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/) which permits copy and redistribute the material just in noncommercial usages, provided the original work is properly cited.

Fulltext

References

  • 1.

    References are included in the PDF.

  • COMMENTS

    LEAVE A COMMENT HERE: